According to Statistics Canada, more than 10% of those aged 50 and over suffer from osteoarthritis or another type of arthritis. At 70 and up, the majority are afflicted.
Generally associated with aging, osteoarthritis is the most common type of joint disease and the principal cause of skeletomuscular afflictions. Unfortunately, osteoarthritis also afflicts numerous individuals as young as 30 years of age.
Osteoarthritis is an abnormal degeneration of our cartilage which also impacts our ligaments, bones, muscles and synovial fluids.
Osteoarthritis symptoms clinically manifest themselves by stiff and painful joints, aggravated following long periods of immobility or in the morning when getting out of bed. Knee, hip, spine and hand joints are those most affected.
- Repetitive movements, repeated strains and injuries can instigate an accelerated wear and tear of some joints.
- Obesity: Obese individuals have a 2.5 to 3 times greater risk of developing osteoarthritis
- A sedentary lifestyle aggravates pain and joint stiffness. Exercise, on the other hand, helps preserve supple joints and reinforce the muscle mass.
Medical treatment of osteoarthritis focuses on symptom relief with the use of pain relievers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. This approach does alleviate the pain and discomfort, nevertheless, it does nothing to help prevent further joint deterioration or the harmful side effects of the medication itself.
For quick relief of pain and inflammation caused by osteoarthritis: NEM combined with glucosamine sulfate
- NEM is an innovative substance derived from a concentrated potency of eggshell membrane which supports type II collagen production, the principal constituent of our cartilage which covers and protects the bone, notably in hip and knee joints. NEM quickly reduces joint pain and improves mobility between 7 to 10 days. In 30 days, it relieves pain up to an average of 72% and improves flexibility by 44% without any side effects.
- The benefits to combining NEM with glucosamine sulfate are that while NEM provides quick pain relief, glucosamine sulfate supports long term joint health by protecting them against cartilage deterioration.
- Glucosamine sulfate is also notable for delaying the progression of osteoarthritis by stimulating chondrocyte cells, which form the cartilage of our joints as well as our synovial fluid, in essence, our joints’ lubricant.
Short and long-term maintenance of our joint health:
- It is important to reduce consumption of acidic foods such as sugar, coffee, soft drinks, alcohol, red meat, exotic fruits, etc.
- To delay the progression of osteoarthritis, alleviate painful symptoms and stimulate cartilage regeneration, use a high concentration of glucosamine sulfate combined with chondroitin or MSM or/and collagen.
- Vitamin C is also important for stimulating collagen production and cartilage cell regeneration .Vitamin C deficiency is a frequent manifestation with those suffering from osteoarthritis.
- Omega 3 supplementation is also highly recommended. Its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce pain and morning stiffness as well as prevent the need for allopathic anti-inflammatories and painkillers.
- In order to implement a comprehensive therapeutic protocol which takes all above-mentioned factors into account, don’t hesitate to consult with a naturopathic practitioner.